Saturday, November 8, 2008

Oh crud, what now?!

Let me preface this post by saying Jim is a stellar husband and father. I couldn't do this parenting thing without him but more importantly, I wouldn't want to! He's my best friend, and he keeps me laughing even when things get tough.

Jim and I are occasional readers of a blog called Looky, Daddy. http://www.lookydaddy.com/ This is an excerpt from Friday's post. The post goes on, but I was in tears, laughing so hard I think I peed a little, when I got this far.

"I'm gonna jump in the shower and then I'm going to bed."

"Can I ask you something first?"

My wife paused before she said yes. It is a natural side effect of our ten years of marrige."

Why was I laughing so hard? I call this pause my "Oh crud, what now?" moment. This is how my true-life version of that post goes.

"Kara."

What happens in my head: "Oh crud, what now?!"

What comes out: "Yes, babe? What do you need?"

Oh, that pause. That moment when you contemplate getting up and running rather than hearing what comes next. When being deaf seems more attractive than having your auditory faculties intact. I am very familiar with the pause. Is it bad that after 1 year of marriage we have a pause? We have experienced getting married, moving in together, finding out that we're pregnant, having a baby, and being forced to move yet again all within a year's time. Aren't the 5 leading stressors getting married, having a kid, moving, a job change, and death? Four out of five since we began dating 2 years ago...we've earned our pause!

No comments: